- 1 ½ medium head cauliflower
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- ½ celeriac and ½ celery
- 2 parsley roots
- 2 white onions
- 2 sprigs of lovage
- 2 bay leaves
- few grains of pepper and allspice
- cold-pressed canola oil
- sea salt and Maldon smoked salt
- minced allspice
- Chop washed and peeled soup vegetables and one onion into slices. Pour 3-4 litres of cold water and add spices. Bring to a boil on medium heat and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover tightly (e.g. with food wrap) and drain the broth.
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Chop the other onion. Add 2 spoons of canola oil and season with sea salt. Preheat oven to 250 degrees C and bake everything for 25 minutes in order to crisp vegetables slightly.
- Put baked florets into pot with drained vegetable broth. Peel potatoes and chop into thin slices to cook them faster and add it to soup to achieve smooth texture. Season with minced allspice. Cook for 15 minutes until tender and mix with 2 spoons of canola oil. Sieve the soup.
- Boil again the soup. Remove from heat and season with salt (do not exaggerate because we will season it also with smoked salt). Smoked salt is not a must but it is worth having it in your supplies.
- How can you garnish the soup? With a watercress or a few leaves of Indian mustard for example. What about raw, crunchy cauliflower? Or maybe classic version with roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds? Also, don’t hesitate to use fresh herbs which always go well with a plate of delicious soup. Enjoy!
Recipe: Magdalena Święciaszek, Photo: USTA Magazine